Monday, November 13, 2006

...I try to explain what type music I like.

A little while ago someone asked me what my favorite kind of music is. For me, that's a tough question.....as proven by this next post....

Well, for me, there's Bruce Springsteen and then there's everybody else. So really, it starts like this....

1. Bruce Springsteen (with or without the E Street Band)

Now, this is where it gets dicey....not sure if I could rank my "favorites" because it changes day-to-day, week-to-week, or pretty much every time I rotate the CDs in my car. So, how to answer? Do I just list artists based on who I've listened to most over the years? Should I list genres that have been favorites over the years? Too much pressure here....

OK, favorite artists...in no particular order...after, of course, after the mighty Boss...

Bob Dylan
The Verve Pipe / Brian Vander Ark
Wilco
Ryan Adams
The Clash
REM
The Replacements
Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers

I really could go on and on...instead I'll just talk (type) until I bore whoever might be reading.....

My love for music really does begin and end with one Mr. Springsteen....started in 1984 with Born in the USA and since I've gone backwards and forwards listening to influences OF The Boss (Dylan, Beatles, Johnny Cash, etc.) and those who have been influenced BY The Boss (The BoDeans, Mellencamp, Ryan Adams, and yes, even the Killers....actually, I'm not too impressed with the Killers).

Lately, it has been the oft misnamed "Alt Country" genre which had caught my attention. I say "misnamed" because this tag runs the gambit from Wilco (not very country at all anymore) to Lucinda Williams (every bit country) to Johnny Cash (the KING of country...IMO) and might be more appropriately labeled "Americana". BTW, The August definitely fits into this category.....whether country-phobes want to admit it or not. This figurative journey along the two-lane highways, through towns with one stop light and three bars, across dusty back roads, from Detroit to Arizona and everywhere in between.....has introduced me to incredible artists like....

Wilco, Ryan Adams backward to Uncle Tupelo, Whiskeytown
Johnny Cash (was there anyone cooler?)
Lucinda Williams (her album Car Wheels on a Gravel Road is one of America's finest)
The Jayhawks
back to the 70s to Gram Parsons and Townes Van Zandt (Townes is one of the greatest American songwriters, second maybe only to Dylan)

Anyway, where does this leave me? Long-winded, full of too much self-importance, by myself because everyone else stopped reading, all of the above....

Wow, why can't I just answer a simple question?

3 comments:

Art said...

Just answer the question Claire.

jackalope said...

Great choices, I own stuff by everyone you mentioned. The Jayhawks are my favorites of the last 10 years or so. Check out Golden Smog too. They are made up from members of the Jayhawks, Wilco, Big Star, Replacements, Soul Asylum, and Run Westy Run. Good stuff all the way.

PoPpy said...

Brian....thanks for the note. I've heard some of Golden Smog's stuff...actually purchased their first CD for my brother. But yeah, good stuff...