Monday, January 8, 2007

...I lament about football.

I used to be a football fan, a big football fan...

I played football, both on organized teams and in my backyard. To draft my Christmas wish lists each year I started by opening the Sears catalog and turned to the NFL clothing page...jerseys, varsity jackets, sweatshirts, hoodies. As a family, we used to watch Inside the NFL religiously. Hell, I used to sleep with my football. But something happened...not sure what it was, what it is. I can't put my finger on it.

I'm sitting here watching the National Championship game and I'm finding myself with the remote in one hand flipping around between plays...checking to see what's on HBO, what stupid sitcoms are on. What's the matter with me?

Maybe the problem is that I'm a Spartan fan. It really hasn't been good for a while in East Lansing. Maybe it's living in the D where the only pro team in town is barely a pro team at all. Hell, my arch-rival Michigan...who I decided to root for for two games this year...even laid an egg.

Did I spend too much of my sports energy on the Tigers this year? Is there really a limited amount to go around? Am I just getting older? More mature? Is this a product of being a father? Who knows?

Anyway, I thought I'd probably stay up tonight to watch this entire game, but now I'm thinking of going to bed.

1 comment:

Art said...

Simple - you're married w/ kids. There are things more important now. That doesn't mean you shouldn't look for opportunities to watch and play football anymore. Heck, in a couple of years, you'll have a couple of kids to play football with and introduce into fandom.